I have no idea what magazine I found this in but I think it makes a good point.
"Sprawl is happening in our own backyards, yet most of us remain uninvolved. Most people can't name their local county officials; you can bet that developers can. I saw this time and time again in covering local government: Some horrible development erases an open space, and everybody grumbles and woders how it happened. We actually have to attend meetings to demand that box stores stay out, and that developers use sustainable building techniques."
-Doug Fine, in Farewell, My Subaru: An Epic Adventure in Local Living (Villard)
I would add knowing the names of city officials, as well, since in many places city officials have as much or more influence than county.
Do you know who your city and county officials are?
Do you know the differences between city and county responsibilities and the decisions they make?
Saturday, May 3, 2008
Sprawl
Labels:
building,
city,
county,
developers,
officials,
open spaces,
politicians,
sprawl,
sustainable
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment